1. Don't leave your dogs unattended in your parked car.
2. Always keep a close eye on things when your dog is off leash at a park or a beach. Distractions are everywhere and it only takes a few quick seconds for someone to be off with your dog while your attention is elsewhere.
3. Be cautious about how often and how long your dog is left home alone. If your dog spends a lot of time home alone, perhaps speak with your neighbors about your schedule and ask them to help by keeping an eye out for anything suspicious while you're gone.
4. Keep your dog's outside space fenced, locked, lit and alarmed. I was thrilled to see the new fence we installed this fall has both a lock from the inside and the out, with an actual key! I personally do not have my fence alarmed, but my dogs aren't unsupervised outside. I do have a fairly bright light as well, which allows me to see clearly in my yard at night.
5. Don't leave your dog unattended in your yard.
6. Don't leave your dog tied up outside of a store or restaraunt while you shop or dine inside.
7. Spay and neuter your dogs. This creates less desire to wander on their part and less desirability to steal your dog on the thief's part. Some dognappers steal for breeding purposes.
8. Do your research on any dog groomers, boarders, walkers etc.
9. Be extra cautious when unknown people such as delivery people, contractors or people going door to door are around your house.
10. Microchip and id tag your dog.