Monday, February 3, 2014

A Dog's Comfort

Confession:  I'm in therapy every single day. 

When your life gets overwhelming, your dog often helps carry your load.  They are there, as a quiet friend, to give you support and companionship.  It seems like such a simple job your dog is doing that we probably take it for granted, but your he is actually doing so very much.  Studies have shown all the remarkable ways dogs are positive forces in our lives. It's because of these findings, we have "therapy dogs" today who are properly certified and regularly visit or work in schools, libraries, hospitals, nursing homes, rehabs and they are even sent to locations were tragedies strike to help people grieving to deal with their loss.  Therapy dogs (and in my opinion ALL dogs) have been found to help provide the following:

*Comfort
*Lower blood pressure
*Increased "feel good" hormones such as oxytocin
*Lessened anxiety
*Increased feelings of security
*Increased focus and clarity
*Unconditional love, affection and nurturing
*Elevated moods
*Lessened boredom
*Needed exercise
*Strengthened social skills
*Reduced lonliness
*A sense of purpose

My therapists


So the next time you need that soothing presence to help calm your nerves or lend you an ear for listening, look no further than your dog.  They're ready and willing!

**There are many therapy dog certification organizations out there.  If interested, it's important to look into which one would best suit you and your dog based on requirements and location.  HERE is a place to get started. 

10 comments:

  1. We aren't Certified, but we're therapy dogs, too, because we do all of those things.

    XXXOOO Daisy, Bella & Roxy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Daisy is right, but, every pup is a therapy dog, Dad sits with bites, takes naps with him and watches TV, while Mom sits, naps and does the TV with ME, they say we really do help them after a day at work, that makes us happy! Problem being that lots of peeps just don't get it!

    The Mad Scots

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yup, true dat! Anybody who does not believe that does not know dogs!

    Your Pals Who Are Having A Birfday Today,

    Murphy & Stanley

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know I am a happier person because of my dogs (most of the time anyway!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beamer is a great therapist! He keeps me grounded everyday.

    He was a certified therapy dog for a bit. He passed all the evaluations, but when it came time to go to the senior home for our first time, he growled at a senior because her arm was in a sling and he thought she was going to strike one of us. He was just trying to protect us, but I was a bit disappointed because I was so excited to volunteer with him.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Chloe and LadyBug are great therapists!! I agree with Kat...keeps me grounded!! Thanks for sharing this info!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. the best therapist ever :o) our world would be an empty and cold place without dogs

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, Ma says I'm the reason she NEEDS a therapist!!!!!! BOL
    Yeah, she might be right....
    butts I do make her laugh too, so there's that...
    Kisses,
    Ruby ♥

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can't tell you how many times I've had a rough day and my only thoughts are to just get back home to my pups.

    Monty and Harlow

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am a certified therapy assist chihuahua. Been doing therapy work for about 4 years or so with hospitals, nursing homes, kids, schools, libraries. I appreciate your bringing this to light because it is very, very true. Petting a dog increases your serotonin levels which helps with healing. Petting a cat too for that matter. It also helps with depressions. The older one is, the more one needs a dog/cat in their life. For those people who tell me that they do not like dogs or cats or pets for that matter, I tell them to hug someone they love - no really - HUG - really hug them, stay...keep that hug for at least 10-15 seconds. That also lowers your and their blood pressure... the one thing is to only hug someone you love. And don't do it when you're mad at them - BOL! (thanks again for sharing!)

    ReplyDelete

She Deserves Better