Estimated costs range depending on the size of your dog:
Recurring Costs Per Dog (yearly)
Food (high quality)- $50- $300
Recurring Medical (exam, basic shots, heartworm and flea/tick meds)- $200- $275
Insurance (varies greatly)- $225
Grooming- $275- $400
Misc.- $50- $75
One Time Costs Per Dog
Spay/Neuter- $175- $225
Beginning Medical (worming, blood work, micro-chipping)- $75
Collars/Leashes/Tie Outs- $25- $50
Crates- $25- $125
Dog School- $100
First Year Estimated Total: $1500- $2000
Cost Cutting Tips:
- Sign up for a Pet Perks card at PetSmart. You get savings when you shop and use your card.
- Compare prices and regularly be on the lookout for coupons http://dogfood-coupon.com/index.html
- Check your vet's price for flea and tick meds against online stores. We save 50% ordering the same exact meds online.
- Look for toys, treats, beds, leashes, collars and so much more at TJ Maxx and Marshalls. You will be shocked at the random dog supplies they have and how low the prices are! The inventory changes all the time too! (my all time favorite tip!)
- Purchase some good clippers and learn how to groom your dog yourself. The initial cost for supplies might be high, but will be far cheaper than regular groomer visits in the long run. If I can clip, anyone can!
- Dog school is not a NEED. There are tons of books and videos available to dedicated owners who are willing to take the time to properly train their dogs...for FREE