Each holiday poses some dog risks. Here are some Easter safety tips for you and your pooch.
Chocolate: Deadly to dogs depending on the type of chocolate (dark being the worst), size of your dog and the amount ingested. Minimally, chocolate can cause severe stomach upset. Don't leave chocolate out at your dog's level where it can be easily grabbed. Also, be cautious of chocolate filed Easter eggs that children might not find during their hunt and end up leaving for your pup to locate.
Easter Grass: Minimally, ingested Easter grass can cause stomach upset, but worse case scenario, it can cause an intestinal blockage that would require surgery to remove.
Xylitol: This ingredient is commonly found in chewing gum, but it also found in sugar free candies as well. If a dog ingests xylitol it can be very serious. It often can cause liver failure. Beware of any sugar free Easter candies around your house and keep them away from your pup.
Easter Lilies: A dog who eats parts of an Easter Lily plant will likely develop diarrhea and vomiting. Severe cases might cause kidney failure. Prompt veterinary care is crucial to prevent death.
Plastic Eggs: Many dogs will find the brightly colored plastic toys to be great chew toys. Unfortunately, sharp pieces of ingested plastic won't be much fun for your pup. They can cause blockages, or internal abrasions which can lead to infections. Make sure only the kiddos get their hands on the plastic eggs.
Visit any dog supply store this time of year and I can guarantee you can find some SAFE dog Easter treats that will put your mind at ease and provide your pup with a day of fun!